Grace and a Counternarrative


"His mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, according to the promise he made to our ancestors, to Abraham and to his descendants forever.” 
Luke 1:50-55

Who doesn’t love a good success story? A story of a man or woman overcoming obstacles, persevering, and prospering despite the odds can be exciting and inspiring.

I grew up fascinated with biographies of entrepreneurs, star athletes, industrialists, and performers. It’s no surprise, then, that when I went away to college, I was ready to start my own narrative. Thirst for success combined with fear of a bad economy drove me to look for practical and lucrative goals, so I studied with thoughts to eventually working in finance or economic policy. I studied hard, head down, fingers crossed in hopes that one day it would all be part of a great success story.

I was prompted to think about the theme of success stories recently after reading the newest release from historical romcom author Jen Turano. She writes novels set in the era of some of America’s most renowned success stories, the era of men like Andrew Carnegie and Cornelius Vanderbilt. And the hero and heroine in her latest novel, Flights of Fancy seem to fit right in. He’s a wealthy “self-made” businessman on the brink of expanding his profits even more, and she’s an heiress who’s caught the eye of a European nobleman. But a series of outlandish events turns the would-be American success story on its head. The hero becomes an advocate for the laborers he once profited from and, recognizing the limits of his rugged independence, he learns to seek community and friendship. The heroine who was once waited on and given everything she wanted finds a sense of purpose in serving others and giving of herself. As people of faith, they see God’s hand in guiding their narrative to one that runs counter to the expectations and priorities of their day.

In a shift that definitely countered my own expectations, I was unable to move ahead with my college goals. After multiple family crises, I had to leave school and delay finishing my degree for several years. I struggled with the interruption, but God used the time to make me think about the story He wanted for me. In striving for a conventional success story, I had often ignored God’s call, but in the chaos of my lost goals, He helped me construct a new narrative. I began to focus on building loving relationships and learning to seek His presence and will in my circumstances.
"He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty." 

During the Advent and Christmas seasons, many of us read the Magnificat, the song that Mary, the mother of the Lord sang soon after learning about His promised birth. This beautiful and radical song shows, among other things, that God’s priorities are not man’s priorities. It’s a song about power and wealth being brought low and the concerns of the needy being elevated. The song reaffirms the narrative of a God, who from ancient times had been an advocate for the slave, the widow, the orphan, and the stranger. And it embodies the theme of Christ’s ministry: the first shall be last, the lowly are blessed, and those in power are challenged.

The irony and grace of this song speaks new life into our story even today. It beckons us to look beyond the world's definition of greatness and to incline our hearts to the things and people that matter to Christ. I pray that this new year graces us with many opportunities to live His narrative with humility and love. Amen.


Comments

  1. Your comment regarding Mary’s Magnificat resonates with me as it describes beautifully Christ’s ministry of service, humility and love. Thank you for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the world's definition of greatness can be very humbling. Too many people are worshiping people and things, instead of God. I pray today we will all turn to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be so difficult to rise about what the world says about greatness and instead embrace what God says, but that is the only thing that should concern us: what God says. The world will pass away, but God and God's kingdom is forever. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary's Magnificat suggests a beautiful new narrative. One that turns things upside down - where success and accomplishment are not measured by possessions, power, titles and money - but are measured by the degree to which we love God, love and include all others and love ourselves. Yes, I agree Chloe. I too am seeking to love God with all my heart, soul and mind, and seek loving relationships with all others, all while seeking to discover His presence and will in my circumstances. And if we can do this well, then I am confident, Jesus will see this as being successful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is such a great reminder of God and the graciousness of His nature. Who He is and how He longs for each of us to know Him. Not simply know of Him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What we consider as interruptions might be where God speaks to us the greatest! It's only our view of it being an interruption...God had it planned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chloe. My favorite part is this: "The song reaffirms the narrative of a God, who from ancient times had been an advocate for the slave, the widow, the orphan, and the stranger. And it embodies the theme of Christ’s ministry: the first shall be last, the lowly are blessed, and those in power are challenged." God's picture of success is certainly different than our natural ideas, but perfectly logical when you really break it down. Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I wish so many more believers would "look beyond the world's definition of greatness." I think it's easier than we may realize to get worldly success mixed up with the successes that God values. I know I get drawn in on a regular basis. So glad God was able to reach you & turn you towards His kingdom & different kind of story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this: "It beckons us to look beyond the world's definition of greatness and to incline our hearts to the things and people that matter to Christ." The Magnificat is not just a prayer for Christmas. It's for every day of our lives. Thanks and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your thoughts on Mary’s words to the angel. They are so humble and accepting. I pray to respond the same when my life is turned upside down

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Chloe. It's like you were writing my story too. I had to leave school due to multiple family crises. Just like you, I finally found peace in the new story God wanted to tell with my life. I didn't like it initially, but his plan was far better than my own. Good post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment