An Extraordinary Offer


From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and undergo great suffering at the hands of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, ‘God forbid it, Lord! This must never happen to you.’ But he turned and said to Peter, ‘Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling-block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.’
Matthew 16:21-23

I spend a significant portion of my time wishing away misfortune. I say, “wishing” because, while I work to buy security and provision for myself and those that depend on me, my work does not and cannot guarantee their safety. And, while I’ve always prayed for my family’s health and happiness—both of which God has richly provided over the years—these gifts are transient. Despite my best efforts, misfortune still comes when I least expect it.

Most recently, it came when two members of my family became ill at the same time, and when one of them passed away just a few days later. 

My family was suddenly beset by all the things I had tried to wish away: suffering, anxiety, and grief. 

“And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, ‘God forbid it, Lord! This must never happen to you.’” 

When Christ began to predict His own death, Peter pushed back. He had already had his fill of misfortune. His people had been subject to a foreign empire with a culture and religion antithetical to their own for his whole life and for several generations before. But somehow, he’d found his way to the inner circle of the Messiah, the Savior destined to change everything. He was on the cusp of a movement that would lead to a better and brighter future. Not only that, Peter and Jesus were close. He had no desire to think of his friend suffering, so he wished the misfortune away in the name of all that was desired and hoped for. 

Rather than being grateful for Peter’s concern, Jesus rebuked his attitude with the words, “you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.’” 

Peter couldn’t grasp the eternal significance of the tribulation that was to follow. 

That isn’t surprising. The mystery of the Cross is as confounding as it is glorious, even to those of us who have the benefit of hindsight. Even when approaching more minor tribulations, such as sickness or the death of a loved one, I myself hesitate to ascribe meaning, fearful that I will somehow minimize or disregard the depth of pain and heartbreak involved. 

And yet, I have found meaning in this season of grief that has recently surrounded my family, because it has also found us surrounded by love. 

Old and new friends, caring medical staff, clergy, and family have been here to offer comfort, relief, and much-needed practical support. Every day, we’ve received encouragement in person, over the phone, and online. Everywhere I’ve looked, I’ve seen examples of compassion and self-giving love. More than being exactly what was needed at a stressful time, these examples have reminded me of the kind of person I want to be.

I began to realize that these are the times that call us to fulfill our true roles as loving people, which means so much more than warding off inevitable suffering. It means doing the hardest work of relationships: sitting with family through an illness we can’t control, holding one another through the tears—not offering platitudes—but simply being present. 

We are creatures destined for relationships. This truth is inscribed in our DNA as indelibly as the words, "It is not good that the man should be alone" (Genesis 2:18). When we distorted that destiny, Christ came to earth and reminded us. In the incarnation and crucifixion, He shared our nature, washed away the accumulated debris of our failures, and disclosed the inherent beauty of our humanity.

If nothing else, seasons of suffering and grief are opportunities to see this beauty better. They bring with them the extraordinary offer to receive and see Christ in the comforting embrace of those around us and to embody His radical, self-emptying love to one another. 

Painful seasons can emerge at any time, and at any given moment, there are people around us who are struggling through them. Rather than wishing these seasons away, I pray we can embrace the extraordinary offer of Christ’s presence and share it wherever it is needed. 


Comments

  1. Hello Chloe - it is tough to see God and to see the good in these tough times.

    2018 saw the lose of some key people in my life, it hurt, still does, and I miss them. A good friend is in the midst of their partner being in the final days of their life. He trying to be a comfort to her and to their whole family. His friends trying to comfort and support him, just as my friends did me.

    Yes it is an extraordinary offer to receive and see Christ in the comforting embrace of those around us and to embody His radical, self-emptying love to one another.

    I get that now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your losses and the difficulty of your present situation with your friend. But I'm grateful you've had the opportunity to receive and give Christlike comfort. It's a bittersweet experience, to be sure, but it's reassuring to know we are always in His presence.

      Delete
  2. What a powerful message! God is with us in good times and bad times. Remembering He has a plan and we may not know the plan ... can be comforting at times. I have drawn closer to God over the years of my life and I am thankful for His presence. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you also, Melissa. I pray God continues to bless you with His nearness and comfort in the coming year so you may continue to be present for others.

      Delete
  3. I do understand what you are saying. The enjoyment of Christmas has changed over the years. This year we lost my brother in law. He had just turned 40. His death came less than 2 yrs after my twin’s death. It has been challenging but then we are reminded that this is decaying but God’s love is permanent. He has been our Father, Comforter, Refuge and Provider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for your recent losses. But "God's love is permanent." What a powerful and joyful reminder during a season of grief! I pray He blesses you this season and in the coming year, Sonnetta.

      Delete
  4. Hi Chloe. I loved your reminder that God is with us at all times, good and bad and especially when we don’t turn to Him first. God’s plans are so much better than our own. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! His love always surrounds us and is waiting to shine forth even before we think to search for it. Thank you for reading. Have a blessed Christmas season and new year.

      Delete
  5. This is powerful: "It means doing the hardest work of relationships: sitting with family through an illness we can’t control, holding one another through the tears—not offering platitudes—but simply being present." We can miss this entirely if we spend time in self pity, but how naturally we can be a warm shoulder or rest in God's comfort when we look beyond ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely see how easy it is to focus on self during painful situations. The irony is that turning to others in love actually brings the most comfort. Thank you for reading. Have a blessed holiday.

      Delete
  6. Your post confirms a devotional I read this morning. Run through the dark times. Don't sleep through them. Don't, as you say, wish them away. They have purpose and meaning. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that quote, Nancy. I love it when God pulls together messages for us from various sources, don't you? Have a blessed Christmas season!

      Delete
  7. Wow - way to reveal the beauty in what I think of as such an awkward piece of Scripture.
    I love several things you said here,
    "In the incarnation and crucifixion, He shared our nature, washed away the accumulated debris of our failures, and disclosed the inherent beauty of our humanity."
    I more often hear people talk about humanity as ugly - but its the sinful nature that is ugly. You are right - we are created in God's image & Jesus restored that image - that beautiful original image.

    I also like what you said about suffering being an "extraordinary offer to receive and see Christ in the comforting embrace of those around us and to embody His radical, self-emptying love to one another." I am not generally one of those good sufferers who becomes more pure. I usually spiral, become angry at God and hopeless - thinking suffering is so unjust and unnecessary. I've not thought of it as an opportunity to love & be loved. That actually sounds attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Christina. And I definitely think there's plenty of room in our faith walk for the anger and questioning as well as the purification. The Psalms provide good examples of this. I daresay that anger, when applied to injustice is what makes you a good advocate for those in need.

      Have a blessed Christmas!

      Delete
  8. Chloe, I appreciated your post. This comment particular resonated with me: " have found meaning in this season of grief that has recently surrounded my family, because it has also found us surrounded by love. " It highlights my, and likely most people's, experience with grief. How it can be so hard and dark and heavy, yet love, kindness, generosity and goodness can break in, cover us and fill our hearts. So that even in tough circumstances of loss and grief we can find opportunities to be loved and to love others. Have a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Anne. Yes, love does "break in." I love that imagery! It's sometimes as surprising as it is necessary.

      Have a wonderful holiday.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing this message! We all can use the inspiration here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great. I lost two very special people in the last year, and I have been trying to set them free to God and embrace the eternal significance of this next chapter in their eternal lives (instead of clinging to them here on this temporary earth). Your post echoed and reinforced that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very sorry for your loss, Jessica. I understand the struggle to "set them free," as you put it. It it good to have loving brothers and sisters to take the journey with. Blessings on you and your family this season.

      Delete

Post a Comment