The Storytelling Journey: An Interview with Jessica Kate and Hannah Davis of the StoryNerds Podcast



Today, I am absolutely delighted to feature two amazing ladies and fellow bookworms, Jessica Kate and Hannah Davis, hosts of The StoryNerds Podcast. When I first started listening to their podcast, it was like being plugged into an electric current of book mania, as Hannah, Jess, and their guests expounded on romcoms, literary tropes, and fun and fabulous trends in Christian Fiction.

Here's a little blurb about StoryNerds in Jess and Kate's own words:
StoryNerds is a place for romance authors and fangirls Jessica Kate and Hannah Davis to nerd out over their favorite books, movies and TV. Nerding out is even more fun with friends, so they frequently invite romance authors and book bloggers such as Rachel Hauck and Carrie Booth Schmidt to join them.
So with all that in mind, check out our discussion:

Chloe: How did you two meet, and how did you decide to begin the StoryNerds podcast?

Jess: A mutual friend set us up to be writing conference roommates. Kind of a blind date for writing buddies!

Hannah: Yeah, my author-friend Laurie Lucking, who had connected with Jess for an earlier project, suggested we room together. We hit it off before we even made it to the conference by chatting over facebook, so when we got together in Texas, it was a blast. We also had two other amazing roommates who we keep in touch with, as well! (*Waves excitedly to Angela and Kim*)

Jess: I’d been pondering a podcast for a while, and when Hannah and I spent three hours on Skype discussing Prince Charming from Once Upon a Time and other worthy topics, we decided to continue doing so in a more public forum.

Hannah: Jess pitched the idea and I said yes, even though I really wasn’t sure about it. If I’m being honest, I wasn’t sure I was podcast-worthy before jumping into this. I’m totally one of those people that hates listening to my voice on recordings, so I was pretty nervous as to how others would react. But the more Jess and I talked, the more I realized just how much fun we were having and I hoped that would translate into the podcast.  It started out more like that public gushing about characters and stories, but it’s taken a little bit of a different life to it, too, with us being able to talk to authors about their projects and what inspires them, which I love.

Chloe: Oh, I'd definitely say the fun translates, and so does the passion you all have for reading. Nowadays, when there are countless forms of entertainment and media competing for our attention, what do you think keeps books relevant?

Jess: All of the eyeballs craving them. :D Seriously, different forms of story telling allow for different ways of communicating emotions. Books allow you to be inside the character’s head. Authors like Sally Thorne are geniuses at taking this intimacy and using it to show off a hilarious character’s internal voice in a way you can’t replicate in a movie. (Even still, I can’t wait to see the movie of The Hating Game!)

Hannah: Yeah, I’m with Jess on this one, for sure. I’ve never really subscribed to the belief that one type of medium is less-than, or less-popular...it’s just different. While outwardly it seems there are more forms of entertainment vying for our eyes, each medium presents a different experience. It really is like comparing apples to grapes to oranges...they’re all fruit, but each one has a unique taste and texture. Especially in regards to Christian fiction, books really get deep into a character’s emotional and spiritual journey, which is why I love them so much. I always learn something about myself and God in the process. But I also, like a lot of people, love going to the movies (lounge seats for the win!) or a good netflix binge once in a while.



Chloe: I never turn down a good movie! What are some of the most interesting trends you are seeing in recent Christian Fiction?

Jess: THE RETURN OF THE ROM COM!!!

Hannah: YES! We’re seeing this across the board, too, more than just Christian Fiction.
I am loving seeing the rise of the straight-up suspense, too.

Chloe: I definitely share your enthusiasm for the romcom and suspense resurgence. My "to be read" list has grown exponentially as a result. So regarding the podcast, what are some of the lessons you’ve learned from your guests?

Jess: Well, Hannah taught me to beware of stepping on a hair straightener right before a first date. :D

Hannah: LOL! Oh man, yeah, that was a painful date. Well, the date itself wasn’t painful. Just my foot. Inside a boot. In turn, Jess has taught me a lot of Aussie slang and culture on the show, including Aussie rugby.

I really loved talking with Rachel Hauck in one of our episodes earlier this year about her book “Once Upon a Prince” being made into a Hallmark movie, right after her book “The Wedding Dress” hit 3 bestseller lists. Despite fear and self-doubt, she kept writing. It was a reminder to dream big, do the work, and trust God with those dreams.

Jess: Rachel McMillan also taught me that the much-dreaded editing process is actually the stage where the book begins to shine. It reframed my thinking.

Chloe: How has hosting StoryNerds impacted your creativity?

Jess: It gives me an excuse to talk about Chris Hemsworth. That can only inspire.

Hannah: Hahaha! Yes, we Americans do love a man with an Aussie accent, too. Especially when he looks like Chris Hemsworth. Also, Daniel Lissing. ;-)
Honestly, hosting the podcast has forced me to commit to watching or reading things with a critical eye on a more regular basis, so each story helps me hone my own storytelling skills.

Chloe: Oooh, Chris Hemsworth, yes...Sorry! What were we talking about? Oh yeah! Honing your storytelling skills. What a great takeaway! Speaking of storytelling, tell us about your upcoming projects. 

Jess: My sassy inspirational romance, Love and Other Mistakes, releases with HarperCollins imprint Thomas Nelson on July 30 this year!
Then A Girl’s Guide to the Outback releases in January 2020. I’m working on ideas for book 3 now. Can’t wait to share my stories with everyone!

Hannah: My upcoming project is helping get Jess’s books off the ground! Hahaha. I really can’t wait!
While I’ve had to take some time over the last year to get my feet on the ground at my new job, I’m back at writing my second novel while pursuing publication, and I’m so excited about it!

Chloe: And I'm excited for both of you. In closing, I always like to ask my guests: How can my readers and I pray for you?

Jess: Encouragement is something writers stuff into our cheeks and hoard like chipmunks and nuts. (Wait, do chipmunks eat nuts? Squirrels? I’m Australian!)

Hannah: (Jess, it’s a squirrel. And wait, you don’t have squirrels down unda?!)

Jess: Nope, no squirrels or chipmunks down here!
Prayers for encouragement are appreciated by every writer on the planet. :)

Hannah: As for StoryNerds, I think Jess and I just want to use our podcast to glorify God, so that he’d take it and make it what he wants it to be. Also, within our own writing endeavors, I’m in complete agreement with Jess here. The adage of the self-tortured writer is completely accurate, so prayers of encouragement are the life-bread … or nuts...on which we survive.

Chloe: I will be honored to pray for your respective efforts as well as your continued collaboration on StoryNerds. In my humble opinion, I think God is using your enthusiasm for His narrative to encourage many people. Thank you so much, ladies!

Interview Notes:

Readers, please keep reading for Jess and Hannah's bios and links. I highly recommend signing up for Jess's email newsletter because then, you'll get her free "sassy romance" short story, "The Kiss Dare," and then you'll want to read it over and over again until Love and Other Mistakes comes out. 

Australian Jessica Kate is a sassy romance author and addict. Her novels feature wit, snark and grit, and her StoryNerds podcast gives her a chance to nerd out with others about these ingredients in books, movies and TV. She has a passion for garlic bread, theme parks and Batman.


Hannah is a journalist by day & aspiring fiction writer by night. She lives in Minnesota, where she summers by the lake & cheers for the MN Vikings in the winter. She also loves to escape to the sunny beaches of Southern California, her "heart" home.


Facebook page: www.facebook.com/storynerds
Podcast page: www.storynerds.podbean.com or your favorite podcasting app.
Jessica Kate's website: jessicakatewriting.com
Facebook author page: www.facebook.com/jessicakatewriting
Hannah Davis's Facebook author page: www.facebook.com/hannahdavisauthor/

Comments

  1. Chloe, what a fun blog! It's so cool that you interviewed Hannah and Jess. This is seriously one of the best interviews I've read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Candace. This wasn't a tough interview at all because all I had to do was step back and let Hannah and Jess do their thing! lol

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Candace! That's so sweet of you! I feel like this interview is pretty typical of our relationship and how we chat on the podcast, so that's fun to hear. haha. Thanks again, Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I got to know Jess at ACFW in 2018... she's super sweet and a great writer. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool that you connected at ACFW! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I thought it was fun too.

      Delete
  5. Hey Chloe, I'm not sure my other comment went through, so I'm trying again. If it did get through, feel free to delete this one! :)

    I loved this interview! I have met Jess, and I went to a retreat Hannah also attended. Both are wonderful women. I loved reading their answers to your questions, and your questions were great! Thanks for sharing about their podcast. I need to go look them up and listen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne, thanks for reading. It's so cool that you've "ran into" Jess and Hannah in person! I hope you will get a chance to listen to the podcast because it never fails to entertain. Have a blessed day!

      Delete
    2. Awww, Jeanne it's been too long, friend! Tell me you're coming to visit Minnesota soon. Thanks for reading! (and hopefully, listening!)

      Delete
  6. Lovely ideas here, I am taking notes. Nice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I wrote you a message about possible collaboration, did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm afraid I didn't. You can email directly, if you'd like. flanaganchloe1@gmail.com

      Delete

Post a Comment